The Asplund Pavilion, in collaboration with MAP studio
During the 16th International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennale, ALPI was selected as one of the companies involved in the construction of the first Holy See Pavilion, Vatican Chapels. The exhibition-itinerary curated by Francesco Dal Co contained ten chapels on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore in Venice (Fondazione Giorgio Cini), inspired by the Woodland Chapel by the famous architect Gunnar Asplund, built in 1920 for the cemetery of Stockholm. In the context of this project ALPI has produced the Asplund Pavilion, by the architects Francesco Magnani and Traudy Pelzel of MAP studio, conceived as a prelude to the visit. A structure that embodies the essence of the project through the architecture of the building itself, drawing on the vocabulary of the traditional Scandinavian construction in wood, the Stavkirken (stave church), and containing an exhibition of original drawings by Gunnar Asplund for the Woodland Chapel.